Wednesday, September 28, 2011

humanity jihad

Here's a couple records by a band that's shrouded in a certain level of mystery (mysterious guy hardcore?). A while back A389 Records started talking about some kind of super group consisting of members of a few holy terror big wigs. Kill Life as they are known feature members of Integrity, Crass and Magrudergrind amongst others and have just released this new flexi through that label entitled D.E.A. (Dead End America). Subject to a reasonable amount of hype no doubt generated by the label, this is a red flexi of 150 copies. Black was also pressed.
So as you may or may not know this single has been touted as Kill Life featuring Mike IV on vocals. His inclusion was more or less the main reason why I grabbed it, though, I wouldn't say that this is a bad release otherwise. Not at all comparable to Mike's EyeHateGod, it's not really definable at all. If I have to make comparisons I'll initially describe them as some sort of PV inspired unit, but the recording doesn't really lend itself to that style at all, and there's no real obvious PV structures or anything. End of the day I'd say that this is just rough, messy punk.
And this is their split with a band called 33, released last year by All The Way Alive Records. Again, shrouded in mystery, details about this record and 33 are more or less non existent. Grabbed it from A389 at the same time as I grabbed the flexi. Purple vinyl.
This Kill Life recording is vastly different to the new one. For one thing, Mike IV has no involvement with the band here, vocals are handled by Dwid. He sounds really good here too. Three songs that span under two minutes, I'd certainly describe these songs as that of a PV influence. The recording is much cleaner and far more in line with that style too. The last song is a bit of a hoot. It's just a slow, dirgy PV instrumental, lined with feedback and ring outs and a fantastic sample of the phone call involving that famous chimp attach from a few years ago. I do giggle, I'm probably going to hell.
33 play a fast, gruff style of hardcore with some rocky bits. Unfamiliar (to me anyway) surnames are credited and it's noted that this was recorded in England last year, so I assume that this is a band from that country. I know absolutely nothing more though. They remind me very vaguely of that cool band from California, Ramparts. Similar recording and approach.

No comments: