Saturday, July 9, 2016

CHAINED TO EXTINCTION

Abyss- "Heretical Anatomy" LP (20 Buck Spin)
First Pressing, 2015
Black Vinyl /?? 

I can't remember how I first heard about Abyss from Toronto, I think they may have just randomly come up on a forum somewhere. I do remember though that I was instantly attracted to this album upon first listen. Abrasive Death Metal with influences that lay clearly in a reasonable spread of older stuff from various continents. A loud and crushing recording that punctuates 8 tracks in under 20 minutes. One thing that I eventually realised is that the singer from this band happens to be the guy that fronted Slaughter Strike, a band that issued a handful of recordings across various formats a few years ago, including a tape that I released an Australian edition of. This band is hardly comparable though- the sound that they've captured is infinitely heavier and derived from a less grind influence, perhaps claiming debt to something more like Nihilist rather than Terrorizer.

No comments: