Thursday, December 9, 2010

Premature Blight

Youth Attack Records put out alot of shit. Granted I can name probably four releases this year that I like, I can name alot more that I hate. I don't hate this EP though. This is the "Smoke And Mirrors" 7" by Salvation. This came out in 2009 I think but I only really tacked onto it in the last two months or so. White wax of 100 as far as I can tell, this is one of those typical YA releases that fetches gay amounts on various forums and eBay etc. I paid $20 for this.
This is spazzed out, fast, noisy hardcore. Fans of label mates like Veins, Aerosols and Vile Gash will more than likely be able to enjoy this. If it weren't for the manic vocals this thing would almost be suited for release on a label like B9 and the like. Thank the clean production values for that. With that in mind though, this isn't moshed out wigga core, it couldn't be further from that, but I can certainly see a different demographic of kids being able to enjoy this if they opened their tastes a little.
The band also have two other releases under their belts. The first is an LP by the name of "Of Unforgiving Winds" which I can't get into half as much as I do with this EP. It's just not as 'in your face' as this recording, it's too quiet, and the singer doesn't sound half as suicidal as he does here. Some parts of it border on screamo too, which is hardly ever a good thing. The second is another LP by the name of "Mortality Interactions" which just came out in the last few weeks and that I haven't heard yet. I'll tell you more about it when I get the chance to lay my ears on it.
Simple, effective packaging. A glued, matte sleeve with all of the relevant information printed on it. No inserts. I'd go as far to say that this is probably my favourite YA release, well this or the Nazi Dust 7".

No comments: