Monday, November 22, 2010

Doris

The kind of discordant, mis-timed noise rock that Shellac make isn't the stuff that I normally develop interest in, though the A-side of this record has been a favourite of mine for years, and yet I've only just picked up this single. This is the "Uranus" 7" by Shellac, a classic Touch & Go Records release from 1992. When I initially decided that it was time that this record was introduced to my collection, I thought that I'd have to go on a little bit of a hunt to get it. I mean, whenever I hear people talk of Shellac, the conversation normally reverts back to this EP and the lead track, 'Doris'. Though to my surprise I found this on the 'bay for a BIN price of something like $15 plus postage. Not fucken bad Johnny.
For a record of it's age it shows pretty good condition, the card hasn't aged in a bad way at all, and I am happy with that. Speaking of the sleeve, it's a rough matte cardboard job that folds up and holds together with these tabs. I hope the photos do it justice.
The vast majority of this bands catalogue post this EP is passable at best most of the time. I can dig a song here and there, but for the most part Doris is the only song that really excites me. The way it builds and progresses for that three minutes is pretty fucking dope, there's not too many words that I can use to describe what I think about it. It's worth the listen for sure.

No comments: