Monday, March 13, 2017

BREED APART

Sepultura- "Roots" LP  (Roadrunner)
"The Roadrunner Albums: 1985-1996" Box Set Pressing, 2017
Red Vinyl /??

Definitely my least favourite Max era Sepultura album, but arguably their most well known amongst the mainstream. When I was first getting into Metal as a kid this record had just been released and was massive. All of my friends were into the band, wore their Roots shirts, had the CD etc. I tried to get into them too, I had the CD, and while I enjoyed it a little, I never really understood the appeal. The songs were way too simple, and I always thought the recording sounded muddy. In retrospect I can enjoy bits and pieces, notably the more energetic punk songs like 'Spit' and 'Dictatorshit', but really, you cannot deny how much influence this album had in ushering nu-metal to a wider audience at the time. Listen to that riff on the opener, 'Roots Bloody Roots'. You could put that on a Korn album and you'd never know the difference. Obviously that's what the band were trying to achieve, most Roadrunner bands from this era made similar moves, but even then I hated how all these bands morphed to suit current or identified upcoming music trends like that.

thumb_IMG_7445_1024thumb_IMG_7446_1024 thumb_IMG_7447_1024 thumb_IMG_7448_1024

No comments: